Carbon monoxide leak detected at house in Southall

Testing a Carbon monoxide alarm | Hillingdon Today
Testing a Carbon monoxide alarm / CORGI HomePlan

Firefighters were called to a suspected carbon monoxide leak at a house on Oswald Road in Southall earlier this week.

A carbon monoxide alarm fitted inside the property alerted residents and firefighters used specialist equipment to confirm elevated readings on arrival. Crews led a woman and a teenager to safety and the woman was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters isolated the gas supply and ventilated the property and carried out a sweep of the building to confirm that no further elevated readings were found.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “You can’t taste, see or smell CO fumes, but it can kill in minutes.

“It’s really important to fit a CO alarm in all rooms containing fuel burning appliances, ensuring that the alarm is able to be heard throughout your home. When sleeping, it is important that your alarm would wake you if it sounds.

“It’s also a good idea to familiarise yourself with the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and learn what to do if you suspect someone may be affected.”

CO poisoning symptoms:
▪ Headaches
▪ Dizziness
▪ Nausea or vomiting
▪ Breathlessness
▪ Collapse
▪ Loss of consciousness

These symptoms also apply to your pets – so keep an eye on them too. Poisoning symptoms can easily be confused with just feeling unwell, which is why CO poisoning is so dangerous, and so often missed.