Firefighters called to blaze in Hayes Bungalow

Westacott Road Sign | Hillingdon Today

Firefighters have issued a candle safety reminder after a fire at a bungalow on Westacott in Hayes yesterday evening (5 Janaury).

Four fire engines from Hillingdon, Hayes, Southall and Heathrow fire stations were called at 5:32pm.

The ground floor of the bungalow was destroyed and part of the roof was also damaged by the fire. A woman and two children left the building before firefighters arrived. They were assessed on scene by paramedics.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and involved candles.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. We’d recommend swapping traditional candles for safer flameless LED alternatives, but if you do use real candles, it’s so important to never leave them unattended.

“Always make sure that they’re held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.”

The fire was under control by 7:17pm.