Firefighters called to fire on Nicholls Avenue in Hillingdon

LFB Hillingdon | Hillingdon Today

Firefighters are reminding people of their candle safety advice after a flat fire on Nicholls Avenue in Hillingdon this morning (9 November).

Crews from Hillingdon, Hayes and Southall fire stations were called this morning just before 6am.

Part of a four-roomed flat on the first floor of a mix-use commercial and residential building was damaged by the fire.

The cause of the fire is believed to have involved a candle.

Station Commander Tom Conlan said: “One woman left the building before the Brigade arrived and was treated on scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

“Candles are one of the most common causes of fires in the home and you should be careful when using them.

“It’s really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.

“We recommend swapping traditional candles for LED flameless ones, which are much safer.”