Firefighters called to Northwood shop fire

Maxwell Road | Hillingdon Today
Firefighters were called to a fire at a shop with flats above on Maxwell Road in Northwood

Around 25 firefighters from Ruislip, Harrow and Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service were called just after midnight yesterday (28 September) to a fire at a shop with flats above on Maxwell Road in Northwood.

Part of the ground-floor shop was damaged by the fire. One person left a first-floor flat above the shop before firefighters arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.

The Brigade’s Fire Investigators believe the fire was accidental and involved lithium-ion batteries for a golf buggy. The fire was under control just after 2am.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them against being damaged and charge them safely.

“Unplug devices once they have finished charging and always make sure you use the right charger for your device.”