As spring gets into full swing we want to get out and be more active again, walking, sprucing up the garden and tackling all those DIY jobs which have been waiting over the winter.
But it’s all too easy to let enthusiasm get the better of us and overdoing things can lead to stiff, sore, aching backs.
Mentholatum, the company behind some of the best-known brands such as Deep Heat and Deep Freeze and the ibuprofen and levomenthol gel Deep Relief, have launched the new Mind Your Back campaign outlining five simple (S.T.E.P.S.) which cost little in time and even less in equipment!
The steps are:
• Stretch – five easy to follow stretches to help ease tight back muscles and keep you mobile.
• Therapy – when life gets in the way and you can’t fit in all the S.T.E.P.S. use hot or cold therapy to ease the aches and pains
• Exercise – go for a walk, a swim or a cycle ride, just start slowly and build up gradually
• Posture – could you draw a straight line between your ear, shoulder and hip when sitting down or ear, shoulder, hip, knee and ankle when standing? No? Then it’s time to pay attention to posture
• Strengthen – five more exercises, this time to strengthen your core muscles and help prevent back pain. A strong core means a stronger back.
You can do your stretches anywhere at any time, no need for special equipment or the full-on Lycra-clad gym experience. Just listen to your body and take it slowly at the start, never over-extending or pushing yourself too hard and stop at once if you feel any pain and remember, back care’s a step-by-step marathon, not a sprint!
It is important to note, that before starting, you must check that there is no medical reason why these exercises may not be suitable for you. Also, the exercises are not suitable for people who have a serious back injury or an underlying health condition.
Further information and videos featuring the renowned physiotherapist, Celeste Pereira, showing the five S.T.E.P.S. can be obtained by visiting the campaign website www.mindyourbackuk.com19.