Rubbish Fire in Hayes Prompts Smoking Safety Reminder from Firefighters

London Fire Brigade appliance | Hillingdon Today

In the early hours of yesterday, a rubbish fire at a high-rise building on Uxbridge Road prompted a swift response from the London Fire Brigade, highlighting the critical importance of proper disposal of smoking materials.

The alarm was raised at 1:44am, and the situation was fully contained by 4:00am. A total of five fire engines and approximately 30 firefighters from the Hillingdon, Northolt, Ealing, and Feltham fire stations arrived promptly at the scene.

The fire, which was located at the rear of the nine-storey building, was swiftly extinguished by the crews. Although the fire was small, it did cause minor damage to a section of the building’s cladding due to the intense heat.

Investigations suggest that the fire was accidental, likely sparked by the improper disposal of smoking materials. This incident has led firefighters to reiterate their smoking safety advice to the public.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “If you smoke it is vitally important you stub it right out, preferably in an ashtray.

“Always ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it. If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life. Firefighters recommend that you have a look at our online Home Fire Safety Checker to make sure there are no hidden hazards in your home.

“The online tool will ask you a series of questions that will help us work out the level of risk in your home, or the home of someone you care for. It only takes a few minutes to get tailored advice to keep yourself and loved ones safe from fire.”